Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Damn It’s Good to Be a Sports Nut

In case you missed it, I’m going to give you a quick run down of the NCAA National Championship game. This recap is brought to you by the fine folks at Stupid Inventions magazine. “If it’s stupid, we can invent it!”

Ohio State versus Florida (Monday, January 8th, 2007)

Ohio State: We’re the best team in the nation! We’ve got Heisman Trophy winner Troy Smith. We beat two number two teams this year, and we’re gonna flat run over you, Florida!

Florida: Urban Meier is an offensive god. Chris Leak and Tim Tebow are going to duel-mode bitch slap you right back to Columbus.

Ohio State: (SLAP) Ouch… that hurt! Don’t do that. Please… please don’t hurt us again. We’ll roll over and play dead now, just please don’t hurt us.

Florida: That’s right bitch. Now go make me a sandwich.


That was pretty much what happened. I have to admit, I was utterly disappointed in the game. And where was Mr. Heisman that night? I thought Troy Smith drank the nectar of the gods and shitted out rainbows. But apparently he plays like a blinded eight year old school girl. Honestly, I expected more out of him.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Troy Smith. He played exceptionally well all year and deserved that Heisman. But no one cares about that if you can’t pull it out in the one game of the year that really matters. Sorry Mr. Heisman, but you really did get slapped around that game. Unfortunately, it was a bad end to an otherwise stellar season.

Now, as good as a performance that Florida put on (and let’s give credit where credit is due), I still have some problems about them being national champions. Sure Florida beat the best team in the nation and finished up 13-1 on the season with a tough SEC schedule. But there’s one team that finished up the season with a better record. Yes, I’m talking about Boise State. You know that team with the royal blue turf field that you see on TV but never really care about. That’s them.

I’m saying it right now, on the record, so please print this out so you have a paper copy: Boise State should be crowned National Champions. They are the only team in Division I-A football that finished the season undefeated. That’s 13 wins with no losses. The Broncos are the one team out of 119 peer teams to get the job done each and every week of the season. Doesn’t that count for something?

Now I know you’re thinking that Boise State had a weak schedule and that their conference isn’t anything near as difficult as anything the six major conferences have to play through. This is true, and I completely agree with you there. Both Florida and Ohio State had to play much tougher schedules than the Broncos. But allow me dissuade you of your conferential prejudices.

Why do I think Boise State should be number one? Well, did you see the Fiesta Bowl? I unfortunately missed it. And it is one of the biggest regrets of my life. Either my life is really sad or that was the greatest game of college football ever played. I’ll let you decide. But you can’t deny the fact that of all the college football played this season, that Boise State pulling it off against Oklahoma in the national spotlight of a major BCS Bowl is a memorable experience for all (unless, of course, you’re from Oklahoma).

Anyone who can pull off the plays and make the calls like Boise State coach Chris Peterson deserves to have a National Championship. Getting that team back into the game with seven seconds left was miraculous. In overtime, needing only a simple extra point to tie the game and send it to double overtime, Peterson choose to go for two points. Make it, and you win the big game and everyone loves you. Miss and you go back home crying with you head between you thighs like a little girl and wondering what could have been. That’s a tough call. Not only did he make this call, but Peterson had the balls of solid stainless steel, the absolute audacity to call a statue of liberty play for the two point conversion. And it worked. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the statue of liberty used before in college football. And the USA Today Coaches Poll didn’t even place the Broncos in the top five nationally. I’m sorry, but I’m invoking my constitutional right to call: bull shit.

There were five BCS bowl games this year. Those are the biggest end of year games in the country. You’d think the winners of those games would wind up as the five best teams in the nation. Let’s just forget about Ohio State’s season, where they beat a number two Texas and beat a number two Michigan. Ohio State lost. They finished 12-1. Boise State is 13-0. I can’t say that enough. The one undefeated team in the league and they can’t even scratch the top five. If that doesn’t convince you that the system is flawed, then I don’t know what will.

As I’ve said before, Boise State is the best team in the nation. So what if they’re in the WAC? Winning 13 games in one season isn’t easy even in for the Western Athletic Conference. And even then, they had to get through the Big 12 Champion Oklahoma Sooners to pull it off. I think we all need to start showing more love to the mid-majors out there. It doesn’t matter if you do or not. I will. Coach Peterson, you rock. Keep up the good work, and I hope to see you in the BCS again next year.

Wow… did I really just write all of that trying to convince you that Boise State, of all teams, should be number one? That’s a stretch, even for me. Still, Boise State deserves plenty of praise, especially after showing us one hell of a game. And really, isn’t that what football is all about? We’ve already seen some great NFL games this past week with Chicago winning in overtime (DAA Bears!) and the Patriots with a comeback win over the Chargers.

I’m looking forward to the Super Bowl. Will Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts actually win a conference championship and maybe even (God forbid) a National Championship? Will the Patriots continue their dominance over the AFC and deny the Colts in the playoffs once again? Will the Saints continue their miraculous season and come marching home with a championship? Or will the Bears go all the way and do their own Super Bowl Shuffle? I’m just so excited I can’t wait. Boy is it good to be a sports nut.

No comments: